"He was a soldier of Rome. Honor him!"
Dom
2013-02-11 22:25:35 UTC
When Russell Crowe dies at the end of the film
http://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-Russell-Crowe/dp/B00AEFY5B6/ , Lucilla
(Connie Nielsen) comes down to the arena of the Colosseum and says:
"He was a soldier of Rome. Honor him!" This phrase can be applied to
Pope Benedict XVI.

When he was first elected, on these Newsgroups I gave him the
honorific title of Kaiser Benedikt. This was not a flight of fancy on
my part because, ever since Pope Leo the Great was described as
"Emperor of the West," one of the many posts conferred on the Bishops
of Rome is that of successor of the Caesars.

I also felt that Pope Benedict had a golden opportunity of emulating
Kaiser William II's insights and actions on religion issues. A scanned
copy of http://www.amazon.com/KAISERS-MEMOIRS-WILHELM-II/dp/1149370009/
is at:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ywZoAAAAMAAJ

On page 209 the Kaiser wrote that he "felt deeply the inadequacy of
the sermons, which often dealt only with dry dogmatic matters and paid
too little attention to the personality of Christ. [...] I became
acquainted with Dr. [Ernst] Dryander [...] His sermons were free from
dogma, the personality of Christ was their pivotal point, and
'practical Christianity' was brought right into the foreground. Later
I brought him to Berlin and soon had him appointed to a post at the
cathedral and in my palace."

What is also particularly interesting is the Kaiser's admission that
"polemics in religion have remained alien to me, and such autocratic
expressions as 'orthodox' are repulsive to me."

Now that he has made the admirable decision of retiring, I feel that
Kaiser Benedikt did not make a serious enough effort at burying the
hatchet with the Evangelical/Lutheran, Anglican/Episcopal and other
mainline Churches. The continuing divisions among the hierarchs
continue to be an intolerable scandal.
Tantum Ergo
2013-02-12 21:01:19 UTC
When Russell Crowe dies at the end of the filmhttp://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-Russell-Crowe/dp/B00AEFY5B6/, Lucilla
"He was a soldier of Rome. Honor him!" This phrase can be applied to
Pope Benedict XVI.
DOM HARAM what have you been smoking?
Dom
2013-02-12 23:59:26 UTC
Post by Tantum Ergo
When Russell Crowe dies at the end of the filmhttp://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-Russell-Crowe/dp/B00AEFY5B6/, Lucilla
"He was a soldier of Rome. Honor him!" This phrase can be applied to
Pope Benedict XVI.
DOM HARAM what have you been smoking?
I do not smoke. What have YOU been smoking?
Dakota
2013-02-13 00:56:37 UTC
Post by Dom
Post by Tantum Ergo
When Russell Crowe dies at the end of the filmhttp://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-Russell-Crowe/dp/B00AEFY5B6/, Lucilla
"He was a soldier of Rome. Honor him!" This phrase can be applied to
Pope Benedict XVI.
DOM HARAM what have you been smoking?
I do not smoke. What have YOU been smoking?
Gladiator is a film about a fictional character. Pope Benny the Rat is
the head of a criminal syndicate named after a different fictional
character. Benny is not a 'soldier of Rome." He's an enabler and
protector of child raping clergymen. He demeans women by allowing them
to reach only the lower tiers in the Catholic Church's hierarchy. He
also demeans women by forbidding them to make their own decisions
concerning their medical care.

He has single-handedly increased the spread of AIDS in Africa and
elsewhere by forbidding his followers condom use.

He demeans gays and lesbians calling them unnatural while he and the
rest of the Catholic hierarchy take vows of celibacy. Homosexuality
has been found in well over 1000 species of animal. Celibacy is found
only among deluded humans.

Benny was an evil kid. He was a member of the Hitler Youth. Yet that
was when he reached his highest level of decency and morality. He has
gone downhill ever since. He even stooped low enough to head the
Vatican organization responsible for the Inquisition.

Benny is no hero. He's a senile old man who dresses up in funny
clothes and lives in unimaginable luxury while claiming that his
syndicate helps the poor. The world will be a better place when Benny
the Rat hangs up his silly hat.

Unfortunately, we do not yet know whether his replacement will be the
same, better, or more likely, much worse. In a way, the election of a
even more evil Pope would be good news. It would drive people from
that evil organization at a faster rate than under Benny the Rat.

<snip fawning nonsense>
SkyEyes
2013-02-13 06:13:17 UTC
Post by Dakota
Post by Dom
Post by Tantum Ergo
[...]
Or, as lots of us like to call him, Ratzi the Nazi.

Brenda Nelson, A.A.#34 and A+ atheist
BAAWA Knight of the Golden Litterbox
EAC Professor of Feline Thermometrics and Cat-Herding
skyeyes nine at cox dot net OR
skyeyes nine at yahoo dot com
nature bats_last
2013-02-13 06:58:38 UTC
Post by SkyEyes
Post by Dakota
Post by Dom
Post by Tantum Ergo
[...]
You do recognize "Tantum Ergo", do you not?

NBL
Dakota
2013-02-13 10:35:16 UTC
Post by nature bats_last
Post by SkyEyes
Post by Dakota
Post by Dom
Post by Tantum Ergo
[...]
I don't recall seeing that before. Thanks.
Post by nature bats_last
You do recognize "Tantum Ergo", do you not?
Nope. Had to look it up. It's nonsense from some old Catholic
songbook. Do I have to look up nature bats last?
Post by nature bats_last
NBL
2013-02-13 07:08:36 UTC
Post by Tantum Ergo
[...]
Himself a 'holocaust' survivor, His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI has
done more to repair relations with Jews, while at the same time
rehabilitate the reputation of His Holiness Pope Pius XII. That in
itself took great skill. I say this as an unabashed atheist.

J Young
***@ymail.com
Jeanne Douglas
2013-02-13 09:06:02 UTC
Post by J
Post by Dom
Post by Tantum Ergo
Post by Dom
[...]
Wow. I think we have a new leader in the vilest comment ever.
--
JD

"Osama Bin Laden is dead and GM is alive."--VP Joseph Biden
Dakota
2013-02-13 10:30:49 UTC
Post by Jeanne Douglas
Post by J
Post by Dom
Post by Tantum Ergo
Post by Dom
[...]
It must have been a lot easier to survive the Holocaust if you were a
member of the Hitler Youth. They probably didn't accept many Jews into
that particular fan club.

Of course, being a Catholic couldn't hurt either. The Pope at the
time, Pius XII was also a big fan of Adolph.